Michael Liberty - Biography:
Michael A. Liberty has been a serial entrepreneur and a successful business executive for more than 30 years in industries ranging from real estate, textile, retail merchandising and manufacturing to entertainment, the Internet and wireless technology. In 1980, Mr. Liberty founded Liberty Group Inc., which has grown to become one of the largest and most successful real estate holding companies in New England. Its subsidiary, American Housing Preservation Corporation, is a leader in the subsidized housing industry with a portfolio of more than 10,000 units in 18 states, valued at more than $600 million. In 1985, Mr. Liberty was nominated by President Reagan as one of the Outstanding Young Men of America.
In the early '90's, Mr. Liberty co-founded Cambridge Associates Holdings Corporation, a Massachusetts-based private equity firm. As CEO, he led numerous management/leveraged buyouts in the consumer products, textile and food products industries. In this capacity, Mr. Liberty was instrumental in developing and creating multiple brands as well as structuring a number of top-level supplier relationships with large U.S. retailers, including Wal-Mart, on behalf of investee companies. Mr. Liberty has had great success in building consumer product brands across various industries.
Michael Liberty has been a visionary and pioneer in the wireless industry since 1997, when he became an angel investor in a mobile paging company called Intelligent Information Incorporated, prior to going public as I3 Mobile (IIIM, NASDAQ).
In 1998 Mr. Liberty founded Mobile Media Group, Inc. (MMG), a wireless content company formed to aggregate and re-purpose entertainment content for distribution and syndication to wireless networks, including I3 Mobile's carrier customers. Since MMG's early leadership and recognition of multi-channel value added services, MMG has become a pioneer and leader in mobile payment processing. The company now operates under the name Mozido, LLC. Mr. Liberty is the founder, board member and Chairman of Global Strategic Initiatives.
Mr. Liberty is a world-class brand builder and creator, with unmatched knowledge of supply chain management, manufacturing, brand building, distribution and global sourcing. His company American Sales & Merchandising (AS&M) negotiated and delivered the worldwide merchandising rights to the CBS global hit reality television show, America's Next Top Model, to Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. America's Next Top Model apparel and cosmetics rolled out in 300 Wal-Mart stores nationwide November 2008.
In 2007, AS&M acquired the worldwide rights from Playboy for the beverage category and launched Playboy Energy Drinks and Beverages, now licensed and sold in over 53 countries.
Below are a few of the companies and brands Mr. Liberty has developed and/or manufactured and successfully launched in mass retail.
- Negotiated world wide merchandising rights to the CBS smash television hit show "America's Next Top Model" in 2007
- Rolled out in 300 Wal-Mart Stores Nationwide in November 2008
- Merchandise includes apparel, cosmetics and accessories
- Acquired World Wide beverage rights from Playboy Enterprises.
- Playboy Energy Drink rolling out in 2009 and 2010
- Playboy Energy Drink Licensed in 53 countries around the world
- Playboy Vitamin Water and Teas to launch in 2010
Hathaway Shirt Company:
- Acquired Hathaway Shirt Company "The World's oldest shirt company" in 1996.
- Created Hathaway "Lifestyle Collection"
- Manufactured Wal-mart's private label "Puritan Collection" dress shirts as a vendor for 7 years
St. George Crystal:
- Became partner of St. George Crystal in 1998
- #1, 24% lead crystal manufacturer in America
- Created "Tuscany" brand and the "America Crystal Collection", Wal-Mart's private label line of crystal
- Became OEM manufacturer of Tiffany's Crystal
- Became Partner of Healthy Dairy in 2004
- Created "Great Value" line for Wal-mart's private label drinkable yogurt category
- Became partner of Cafe Britt in 1998
- #1 Latin American Coffee Brand with 25 stores and vendor to Seattle's Best Coffee/Starbucks
- #1 Organic brands of Coffee, "Costa Rica Shade Grown Organic" "Costa Rica Tarrazu Montecielo" "Costa Rica Tres Rios Valdivia"
- Became Sam’s Club’s premium coffee vendor
- World Class roasting facilities in Mercedes Norte de Heredia
- Acquired Biddeford Textile in 1997
- Became the exclusive manufacturer of Sunbeam electric blankets
- Created "Warm Feelings" brand collection for Wal-mart's private label blanket category
Grumbacher Brush Company:
- Acquired Grumbacher Brush Company in 1999
- #1 Fine Sable cosmetic brush in the World
- Products sold in all better goods retailers
Cambridge Consumer Products:
- Founder 1998 in Partnership with LG Korea
- Products include toothbrushes, shampoos, cosmetics, etc.
- Private manufacturer and supplier for mass drug/retailers
- Premiere Italian restaurant located in the Grove in Los Angeles, CA
- Michael Liberty as founder in 2003
The Honorable Secretary William S. Cohen
- Former Secretary of Defense
- Former United States Senator
The Honorable Senator George Mitchell
- Former Senate Majority Leader
- Former Chairman of the Board - Walt Disney Companies
The Honorable Governor John Baldacci
- Current Governor of the State of ME
The Honorable Governor John McKernan
- Former 2-term Governor of the State of ME
- Chairman of the Board - Hathaway Shirt Co.
Ms. Alice Walton
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Walton Family Foundation
- Hathaway Shirt Co. Advisor
- Biddeford Textile Corp. Advisor